Opened in March of 2010, Monkee’s of Richmond has successfully established itself as a steady staple for women looking for high quality fashion, brands and a fun dose of color to add to their wardrobes. Owner Lynne Butz operates her independent franchise with her daughter and a crew of fashion savvy sale associates.
Lynne comes well equipped to the field having completed the executive training program at The Limited and working in the creative department of Hecht Co, both in D.C. Monkee’s is absolutely the go-to in Short Pump for designer names: Tibi, Michael Kors, Kate Spade, Trina Turk and Jade, just to name a very small few of the brands they offer.
In addition to clothes, the store is filled with everything from the always popular monogram necklaces, to colorful bangles, sunglasses, necklaces, bags and even brightly colored beach towels. Keep reading for an insider’s look at fashion, trends, and Lynne’s personal fashion faves.
Below is an edited interview with Lynne.
- What items or pieces do you look for when generally stocking your store? What brands/designers do you look for? Monkee’s thrives on color in all categories of clothing, shoes and accessories. We are always analyzing our mix and picking up new lines.
- What are your go-to stores to shop for your own style? I don’t really have the time to shop for myself, but enjoying hitting boutiques when in NYC with a few hours to spare. Love Neiman Marcus as well. And visiting other Monkee’s stores to see what goodies they have that I don’t!
- How have you seen fashion (globally, nationally and/or locally) change since being in this industry and running your store? This is a unique time in fashion where three generations of women can wear the same piece of clothing.
- What pieces do you have in store right now that women need to update their summer wardrobes? Colorful clutches, fun jewelry including acrylic and resin pieces, nude wedges, and of course one of our colorful summer dresses in a great print.
- Do you encourage window shopping? Absolutely! Also our website is a great window shopping tool. (check them out at: http://www.monkeesofrichmond.com)
- How does Monkee’s stand out from other boutiques in and around Richmond? We have a unique mix of fun wearable, accessible fashion you can’t find anywhere else. Plus we are really, really friendly! I hear these two comments from customers all day long, which warms my heart.
- Using a short paragraph, describe your store’s vibe and clientele without using the following words (think of this as Fashion Taboo): trendy, fashion, expensive, designer, boutique, fun. Monkee’s offers a complete assortment to fuel your girlie imagination. We are the ultimate ladies store known to carry the finest lines in clothes, shoes and accessories. At Monkee’s, you’ll experience shopping as it is meant to be – fun and personal! Come and find out why you might need a bigger closet!
- Heels or flats? Heels
- Dresses or jeans? Definitely dresses!
- Coffee or energy-drink? Coffee
- Tote or clutch? Tote-too much stuff in my life!
- Frozen yogurt or gelato? Wow-I guess gelato, but only in Italy. And I love the froyo trucks in New York better than any other yogurt for some reason.
- Floppy hat or structured fedora? Floppy hat but only b/c I don’t have fedora hair.
Last but not least, if you follow chicstripes or Downtown Short Pump on Twitter, you may have seen this question: “Being well-dressed is a beautiful form of what…?” While there could be many answers to this, Lynne leaves us with a charming, fashion focused answer that sums up her, her girls, and her store’s ascetic: “Being well-dressed is a beautiful form of politeness.” Head over to Monkee’s now and pick up your own forms of politeness!