Are you geared up for a well-deserved summer vacation? Are you ready to just run right out the door? Not so fast! You may be ready, but the question is, is your house ready? Take the time to save money by conserving energy and keeping burglars at bay. Here are 10 ways to get your home ready for vacation before you leave for your getaway:
- Ask a trusted neighbor or friend to keep an eye on the house. Give them an extra key in case of an emergency.
- Do not leave spare keys under your doormat or in any special hiding places around the house. Burglars are pretty savvy at finding those hide-a-key contraptions.
- Stop your mail with the post office and stop your newspapers.
- Ask someone to mow your lawn while you are gone.
- Put one or two lights on a timer and a radio on a talk show station, so that it looks and sounds like someone is home.
- Turn your air conditioner up to a warmer temperature so you aren’t wasting energy.
- Use motion-sensor flood lights outside your home. (That’s just good advice all year round.)
- Unplug everything, including your computer, so if there is a big storm, your electronics won’t take a hit.
- Secure all window locks and doors.
- If you have a home security service, be sure to contact them to let them know you will be out of town. Give them your contact information.
Special bonus item: Fill your potted plants with ice cubes. As the ice cubes melt, your plants will be watered! No need to have someone come by and water your plants, unless you’re gone a really long time.
Remember this: Thieves are looking for easy targets. So, while you might think a light on a timer isn’t going to fool anyone, it may be just enough to plant some doubt in a would-be burglar’s mind, as they wonder, “Are they home or aren’t they?” You can never be too careful.
Now you can go on that summer vacation with some peace of mind, knowing you will return to a secure home!
What are some of your favorite tips for keeping your home safe while out of town? I (and our readers) would love to hear them! Please share them in the comments!